Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Apple Crisp


8/25/11 Update: I updated the pictures and changed a few things.  One crucial change I realized is that you need to bake the apple crisp in a deep pan.  This way the filling stays moist and the top gets, well "crisp".  I also decided I like chopping my apples into cubes rather than thinly slicing them. I feel as though they keep their firmness and texture better.  I hate biting into a soggy apple :)  I also like using a combination of apples; it makes it tastier..if you can, pick fresh apples, they take this recipe up a notch!  
We went to the apple orchard the other day and picked some of the most delicious apples I have ever eaten. We will definitely go back just so I can make this again! I have had this apple crisp recipe bookmarked for years and finally got around to trying it. I can't believe I waited this long! Wow, was this good. It was even great the next day cold, straight out of the refrigerator. This is a sweeter apple crisp than some others I have tried.  The filling tastes a little like apple pie filling, but WAY better!

Filling:
6 cups apples, peeled, cored and diced (like McIntosh, granny smith, or honeycrisp) (2 lbs)
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
dash ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp lemon juice for apples
Toss apples with lemon juice to keep from browning.  Mix sugar, flour, and spices and lightly toss with apples. Put into 9 inch square pan (Or ramekins for individual portions) and top with the following mixture:
Topping:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine
Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and dash of salt in a food processor. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. (You can also do this in a ziploc bag) Sprinkle mixture over apples. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. The top will become brown, but don't overcook it, or it will become dry. 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar